Sunday, December 5, 2010

BEAR in the Big BLUE Room!

As if just preparing for Christmas isn’t enough work, this year we decided to undergo the huge task of moving Hayden into the old computer room….just a few weeks before Christmas! What was I thinking? We had told him that we were going to move him way back when we remodeled the kitchen in March and April but we just hadn’t gotten around to it...until now! Part of the reason that we hadn’t done it earlier was because I had to clean the basement first, after it became the dumping ground for everything that I didn’t want to put back in my kitchen or laundry room and I hadn’t gotten around to that until the boys went back to school in September. Believe it or not, it took me until the end of November to get that all done but it’s only because I would limit my time downstairs to only 30 minutes a day because I didn’t want to get too overwhelmed.
All taped and ready to paint

Reassembling Hayden's bed in his new room

When the basement was finally clean (or close to it!), I said something to Rod about starting to move Hayden into his new room…and things just escalated from there! I began spending my “30 minute” time period every day cleaning that room and by the first of December we were ready to start making it Hayden’s room. And by “making it Hayden’s room”, I mean painting it in whatever color he chose. I thought a nice medium shade of blue would look good, but when I brought the paint sample home to show Hayden, he decided that he liked the darker blue better…and since it was his room, I let him decide. When we started to paint, Rod and I both said more than once “that’s definitely blue!” but it was too late to back out then.

It's really blue isn't it?

The finished room

It took us until about mid-December before we got Hayden completely moved into his new room, but in the move, we left all of the junk behind in his old room...which was now Connor’s room! I wasn’t going to even work on his room until after Christmas and I told him as much, but after I took one look at it after Hayden was moved out, it looked like a tornado had hit! Needless to say, I didn’t have any choice but to clean it and repaint it.
Did a tornado hit here?

I’m sure Connor felt a little deprived because I didn’t give him a choice in paint color because we had some of the old stuff left and we were just going to retouch the bad spots on the wall. Unfortunately, the “old paint” was almost 9 years old and when we started painting with it we soon realized that it wasn’t quite the same shade of blue that it had been 9 years before...so we’ll probably have to repaint after all, but that for sure isn’t going to happen until after Christmas. In the meantime, I’m just trying to get used to the idea that “my babies” are growing up and they really needed to have rooms of their own. It probably should have happened a long time ago because we have 6 rooms in our house and we were only using 2 of them as bedrooms, but it was good for them to learn how to share. Hopefully they won’t forget it!Connor in his "almost" finished room - at least it's mostly clean

No comments:

Post a Comment