Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Only Thing That's Constant is CHANGE!

This week has been a week of change...and the contemplation of it! For those of you that know me, you know that change isn’t one of my favorite things. In fact, I have a really hard time with it so you know that it’s been a hard week for me. At the same time, the change that we’re making is a good one, so I’m trying to let that outweigh my anxiety about the change. So what is it that is going to change? My kitchen!

The "before" picture (steak anyone?)

Our house was built back in the 70’s and my kitchen has changed very little since then. I think the cabinets were once a dark walnut color and someone somewhere along the way bleached them because they’re now a honey color. When Rod and I first got married, the kitchen was carpeted...and I hated it! So we changed that almost immediately. The one other thing that we did change over the past 15 years was the wallpaper. Beyond an occasional new appliance here or there everything else is the original stuff and I’ve wanted to change it forever...and now we finally get to! It was that or move and I’d much rather stay here and fix the kitchen, but Rod would have preferred to move. I guess that shows just how much he loves me doesn’t it?

The first step in preparing to redo my kitchen is for me to come to terms with parting with all of the old stuff in my kitchen. I’m OK with getting rid of the appliances and the cupboards and the wallpaper (I think), but the one thing that is going to be the hardest to part with is my table. It’s not that I love the table itself, it’s just that that table has lots of memories in it. Like the teethmarks from Jon when he was bored one night while we were reading scriptures when he was only 8 years old, or the place where Hayden has written (or carved) his name into the side of the table, or the paint from one of my many crafting sessions that just won’t come off, or the pencil marks from where the boys pushed too hard when they were doing their homework. All of those things are going to make it hard to let it go, but somehow I’ll do it!

The infamous "table"

Can you see where Hayden wrote his name on the table?

This week we started the “shopping” part of redoing the kitchen...and more than once I’ve wanted to just “throw in the towel” and say forget it! It’s hard to redo a kitchen as old as ours is with new stuff because the new stuff is made for bigger and more open kitchens, not small ones like mine, but somehow we’re going to make it work...even if it’s through a lot of tears! The boys hate it too because they hate shopping and they’ve had to do way more shopping in two days than I usually make them do in a month! They kept asking if they could just stay home while Rod and I went shopping but that wasn’t an option! As much as I like shopping, I was even tired of it by last night!

As much as I dislike change, I also dislike having to make decisions...and I’ve got a lot of decisions ahead of me! I’m just glad we’re not building an entire house because it would be “decision overload” and I wouldn’t handle it well. As it is, I’ll just do well to make the decisions that I have to make so that we can get this process started and then the real hard work begins...demolishing the kitchen and being without one for a few months! But we’ll save that part for another week!

As for the family, Rod is leaving on Monday to spend a few days in Boise, or as he refers to it, the “Motherland” to do some work up there. At the same time, Patrick will be coming home on Monday to spend the next week with us and we’re really excited about that. It has been 2 ½ years since he and Jon saw each other last, so that will be a fun reunion. Since Patrick will be here for a few days, that means we’ll probably be seeing Chris this week too and that will be fun because we don’t get to see him too often. Hayden and Connor will just be thrilled because they love to spend time with their big brothers! And as for me, I’ll be lurking somewhere in the background taking pictures...and still trying to come to terms with getting rid of my table!

Yeah! Patrick is coming home!

No comments:

Post a Comment